Saturday, September 26, 2015

'The Admiral: Roaring Currents' (2014) Review

Are you a fan of historical films? A fan of Korean Film? Korean Historical Films? If so, The Admiral: Roaring Currents is the film for you~

歴史的な映画が好きですか?韓国の映画が好きですか?韓国の歴史的な映画が好きですか?そうすれば、「The Admiral: Roaring Currents]をごらんに下さい。

I watched The Admiral: Roaring Currents in theaters when it first debut in America back in 2014. I'm writing this review now, because I love the film so much and it's on Netflix now~  So, I recommend you go watch it on Netflix.  There is English subtitles for you to enjoy.

今、ネットフリッキス(Netflix)に映画がありますから、見られます。

Kim Han-Mi directed The Admiral: Roaring Currents.  

Synopsis:
The Admiral: Roaring Currents shows the historical battle of Myeongryang in Korean History, where the Admiral, Yi Sun-Sin (played by Choi Min-Sik from Oldboy, Lucy,etc.) leads 12 small ships to defeat the Japanese Army of 330 Battle ships.

The Admiral used well-thought out strategies that reminded me of John Woo's Red Cliff.  The Admiral had to sacrifice in order to gather courage from his people.  

I love the cinematography and the acting from each actor. The film was cinematic that the shots were well composed in helping move the story along.  I also like the Admiral's son hehe~  The concept that the Admiral used fear to gather courage stuck to me.  

When I first heard the Japanese generals speak, I thought it sounded kind of weird.  It felt unnatural to me, but I got use to it as I watch the film.  Later on, after researching the film, I found out that the Japanese characters are actually played by Korean people.  The only Japanese person in the film, to my knowledge, was Otani Ryouhei.  His character was a General who was secretly working with the Admiral.

On some parts of the film, the slow-motions felt like an end of a episode in a Korean drama to me.

This film made me feel many emotions.

Spoilers Alert 

There were scenes in the film that I could feel tears swell up, but the scene that made me really sob was the last scene between the Messenger and his Wife.  The Messenger's job takes him through to the Japanese territory to find out information for the Admiral.  The Messenger's Wife is deaf and the first time we actually hear her voice is when she screams for her husband as she watches him get stabbed.  Then the worst part to me was she had to signal for the Admiral's ship to shoot the Messenger's ship.  The Messenger found out the boat he is on is actually a bomb ship plan by the Japanese.  While the Messenger is on the boat, he tells his wife to tell the Admiral to fire at the ship he's on. We see the Wife tries to reject the idea, but the Messenger tells her she has to go through it.  I cried so much when the Wife screamed while waving a cloth to get the Admiral's attention. (I can feel the tears swell up just writing about it T^T) 

Another scene that was depressing is when we see the Admiral's past comrades, who died during a failed battle. The scene expressed the guilt the Admiral had for not being able to save his men.  Also, when the their camp was on fire, the head piece for the turtle ship, that could help turn the war around, engulfed in flames; we see the Admiral's desperation in trying to save the head piece.

The Admiral's ship gets caught in a strong whirlpool, they were saved by the townspeople as they bravely work together to pull the ship out of the whirlpool.  That moved me seeing all the townspeople work together, especially at the end all of the townspeople bowing, grateful for the Admiral saving and protecting them.

To me, the most powerful scene was when the Admiral slices Kurushima's (famous Japanese pirate and probably main antagonist) head and everything goes silent.  It really impacted me, it was like a relief that they were able to take down one of the head of the Japanese Army. 
End of Spoilers     

The Admiral: Roaring Currents is a tremendous film.  I really enjoyed it and recommend you to watch it.  It's available on Netflix~  

すみます。あまり日本に訳しにくいです。「The Admiral: Roaring Currents]をすすめります。ぜひ、ごらんに下さい。

No comments:

Post a Comment